Sunday, August 30, 2009

'Mad' For A Cappella

UPDATE: The actor who plays Graves is named Miles Fisher. And yup, he's an alum of the Harvard Krokodiloes. (See his website here.)

Anyone catch Mad Men tonight? Excellent a cappella reference. Peggy Olson and Paul Kinsey are called in to the office on a weekend to work on a campaign for Bacardi. For inspiration, they decide to get high. Kinsey calls an old Princeton buddy of his named Graves, who is marginally employed as a drug dealer. They argue. And the following ensues:

Graves: "You're arrogant. And you know what else? You can't sing."

Kinsey: "Take it back. Take it back, Graves."

Graves: "Fine, I guess they kicked you out of Tigertones because you were too tall?"

Kinsey: "Graves, We're done here. And by the way, I left the 'Tones because I had mono."

Graves: "Fine, Why don't you sing a little and let them be the judge?"

Kinsey: (clears his throat, then sings) "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal, send me a kiss by wire, baby my heart's on fire..."

(applause)

Kinsey: (putting his hand out to Graves) "If you refuse me..."

Graves: (forced to join in) "Honey, you'll lose me..."

Both: "Then you'll be left alone. Oh baby, telephone and tell me I'm your own!"

(beat)

Peggy: "I am so high."

No comments: